Surreptitious Psychosis
A Peek In My Head...

Putting the "fun" in disfunctional since 1978!




Name: Aza
From: Florida, United States

I reject your reality and substitute my own

More Useless Crap To Know About Me

100+ Things

Who The Hell Is She Talking About!?

My Calendar


Chinwag

Email

IM: Surreptitious_Psychosis (yahoo)

The Other Day I Said...

I should be featured on the Weather Channel…

Has it really come to this?

The malfunction of my sensibility organ

Sensibility and booze don't work well together

Come on, just do it...

HoW To KeEp A HeaLthY LeVel Of iNsAniTy aNd dRiVe ...

Oh and Karma? (if you're still listening)

Hey Karma, thanks for saving me the trouble...

On hangovers and reflections

Ahhh, the Blog-a-thon memories!


Going Retro

February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
September 2009

"Labels"

*Still Under Construction*

  • I'm Not Right In The Head

  • Goofy Pics

  • Shit I've Jacked

  • I Should Have Joined A Convent

  • Fuck Off Friday

  • Rants Raves And Bitching In General

  • Saving Grace

  • Open Letters

  • The Freak Gene

  • Happy? Holidays

  • A Slice Of Spam

  • My Psychosis

  • Everyone's A Critic

  • White Trash Theatrics

  • I’ll Take Medical Bullshit For $50 Alex

  • It’s Work Therefore I Bitch

  • Just Another Stupid Story

  • It’s Altruistic


  • Other Blogs


    Join BloggerChicks

    Join BloggerChicks


    Monday, August 14, 2006

    How To Survive A Pap-Smear

    A day and an age ago during my first term in college I took an English composition class. We had to write five short and sweet papers: Process/Analysis, Contrast/Comparison, Cause/Effect and so on. All of mine were terribly written because well, lets be honest here- I'm not a writer. I specifically chose odd and macabre topics to write about based on a few facts: 1/ We had to read them aloud in class and 2/ The subject matter would make the actual material written more heard/experienced and less seen (people wouldn't pay as much attention to the fact I was/am a crappy writer) based on the fact that I'm a very animated story teller. Basically, you can hand me any shitty paper to read aloud and those listening will think it's brilliant. It's all in the presentation.

    My Cause/Effect was titled "The Black Death". It was written in first person style about a young man who lived through the bubonic plague in Italy during the year 1347. It was harsh, overly descriptive and elicited just the response I was looking for. My Process/Analysis paper was titled "How To Survive A Pap-Smear" a paper I was particularly proud of (tho not nearly as much as "The Black Death"). Certainly not because it was well written (the freshmen in my class had no clue what "well written" meant) but because of its shock value (as unshocking and censored as I felt it was/is) visits to the GYN aren't often publicly addressed in a room full of strangers. So here I offer you a freshmen's view of how to survive a pap-smear.

    Aza Whatever
    Professor Whoever
    ENC1101, Process/Analysis Rough Draft
    8 December, A Long Time Ago

    How To Survive A Pap-Smear


    Yes, it's that time of year again. The notice you received in the mail that arrived or the message on your voice mail today has informed you in a matter-of-fact manner that you're due for an "annual". There it is, psychology at its best- they use that term to soften the blow. Instantly your stomach twists in response. "Annual". The word itself seems harmless but you know better and since you know better, "annual" conjures images of medieval torture chambers. With your stomach now violently protesting you pick up the phone to make the appointment. What are you met with? A cheery voice on the other end all too pleased to schedule you. So begins the five steps to surviving a pap-smear.


    Step one: After making your appointment, resist the urge to call all of your girlfriends and female family members to complain. They've been there and most probably do not wish to have images of their last "annual" resurrected. This rule applies to men as well. Any attempts at explaining the process will not be met with sympathetic ears. You will almost certainly ensure an immediate dial tone in reply. They don't understand; they don't want to understand.


    Step two: When the day of the appointment arrives, contemplating ways out of it is futile. However, feel free to allow yourself to go with the process of making up every excuse you can dream of not to go; oddly this tends to be therapeutic. Do not cancel your appointment! Like many things in life, this is a necessary evil. With uterine, ovarian and cervical cancer being a potential alternative it is imperative that you keep your appointment.


    Step three: Once you've arrived at the doctor's office and have successfully pried yourself out of your car you're halfway there! Swallow the arising panic attack, calmly check in at the front desk, seat yourself and wait to be called. Daydreams of slapping the chipper receptionist with the latest issue of People magazine, believing every man in the waiting room knows exactly why you're there, considering if the chair you are seated in is heavy enough to break a window for a quick escape are all completely normal thoughts.


    Step four: Once you are called DO NOT run for the nearest exit! Take a deep breath and follow the technician. She or he is simply going to take your skyrocketing blood pressure, racing heart rate, temperature and yes, your weight. Upon stepping off of the scale you may feel an urge to spontaneously vomit- this too is completely normal, more deep breathing usually helps this sensation pass. You will then be led into a small, odd smelling sterile room, asked to disrobe and don a giant roughly textured piece of paper with armholes in it. They refer to this garment as a "gown". If the office is particularly warm, this "gown" will stick to you like wet Charmin. This too is a regular occurrence (especially during summer months). You will then be left to carry out the given tasks while agonizing over what is now inevitable.


    Step five: Expect to wait a minimum of 45 minutes for the doctor to arrive. It is important to understand that you are not the only patient he or she is seeing that day and he or she must have time between patients to boondoggle around the office and tell his or her peers about the last weirdo he or she just examined. When the doctor finally walks into your room fully expect him or her to engage you in pointless chit-chat. He or she may even attempt to "break the ice" by telling a stupid joke. At this point the worst is nigh- do not freak out! Within 15 minutes this will all be over and you will have survived. Please note that during your exam is it not recommended that you laugh, cough or sneeze- speculums are known projectiles.


    Congratulations, you made it! Once dressed you may now begin to regain what is left of your dignity (this may take as long as a week). When you arrive home, please refer to step one. No one is interested in hearing about cold stirrups, projectile speculums or cotton swab cultures.

    Labels:

    ---------------------------------------------

    10 Thoughts On The Subject

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    BAHAHAH!!!! ROFL! That's too funny...

    I must admit, though, that I don't think paps are all that bad....*shrug* I've never had one be painful (yet), or abnormal (yet), and thankfully, I've never had a good looking doctor. Ahem. LOL

    7:52 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You forgot to mention that you shouldn't have sex a few days before..... because ....ewwwwww.

    6:19 PM  
    Blogger Aza said...

    Karen- OMG! Ewwwww is so right!

    I could just see the look on my GYN's face and my response "Errr, uh, oh wow! How did that get there." or even better "Well Dr. GYN, you see vaginas day in and day out, I just figured I'd throw my own personal little spin on today's visit. SURPRISE!"

    --------------------------------

    Maevyn- I HATE that mini bottle brush thingy that they insert into the uterine opening- it hurts like a mother! Oh, not to mention the ten tons of lube they put on the speculum for "easy insertion" (which I might add is in no way "easy") that I get to deal with until I get home. It feels like a tiny vaggie slip and slide.

    Hahahaha! TMI anyone!?

    6:34 PM  
    Blogger DS said...

    just want to say that this list of do's and don'ts should be maild to every girl at 18 to follow for life brilliant.

    8:50 PM  
    Blogger david james keaton said...

    (watch me try to hang with the chicks 'n their locker room talk)

    you know what i hate? when the patient's all like, "why does this exam have to take place in your van?"

    oh! you know what else drives me nuts? when i put on some music to relax their nerves, like the love theme from "Top Gun," and they're all like, "if you're a real doctor, how come you've got a flashlight duct-taped to your head and your only tool is one of those vanilla Fun Dip sticks?"

    i hate that shit!

    12:46 AM  
    Blogger Aza said...

    Thanks DS, I really wanted to go into more depth and detail (and less censored) but my professor had accused me of being "verbose" on a previous paper.

    -------------------------------

    David, wonderful job “blending in”.

    BTW, Your exam sounds a hell of a lot more fun than my last one! I wonder if you're covered under my HMO.

    1:34 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Or in my case recently, they were training some new girl they day I was at the doc and she "forgot to label the specimen". WTF? So now I have to go back and get THAT done again. Yeah, I'm in a real rush to make that appointment. NOT.

    6:30 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dearest Aza,

    Let me be blunt. Today is my birthday. (August 17th). GO ME! Now, with that said, hop your ass on a plane right now and come to Colorado, where you are hereby invited to partake in my birthday imbibery (and possible debauchery), at The Loop, in Manitou Springs, at 6pm. :) :)

    P.S.
    Let's invite David, too, because....um....his version of the pap smear sounded interesting??? LOL

    Love,
    Maevyn

    2:39 PM  
    Blogger Aza said...

    With the way things are going around here...don't temp me!

    Happy Bithday, Maevyn...

    You're an amazing woman and I hope your birthday is to match!

    4:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LOL *tempt tempt tempt* Oh c'mon........what's a little airfare between friends?? LOL

    Thanks for the birthday wishes, hon! :)

    4:43 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home